Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Both Books are Saying the Same Thing!!!

Okay, so a while back I posted on one of my blogs about the many books I have started. It was as bad as the crafts projects I've started. Only, I really want to get through the books.

  • Foreign to Familiar. Done

  • There's No Me Without You. 2/3 the way through.

  • Decision Points. On part 3.

  • The Connected Child. Collecting Dust.

  • A Hole in Our Gospel. Umm, who knows where I'm at on that one. My lack of reading goes hand in hand with my increasing mid-section. Just for the record, I am NOT pregnant to those who might wonder.

  • Isn't there one more?

Anyway, the two books I'm actively reading or listening to are saying the same thing right now. In There's No Me Without You (TNMWY), I was reading lots and lots about the details surrounding the aids crisis. It's sad and heart-breaking. The statistics are staggering. But I found myself feeling like the statistics were a bit on overload compared to the way the rest of the book has presented itself. Fortunately, I read through that part and moved on. I'm not trying to make light of the HIV/Aids pandemic, I'm just saying that it became very statistical and not very much of a story in comparison to the rest of the book. Okay, so don't get all crazy on me thinking I'm heartless and don't care about those dying of aids while I shop for another pair of keens. Really, these details are overwhelming. Anyway, the point of my post wasn't this.


Monday while I got my electro-stimulation during physical therapy, I listened to Decision Points on my ipod. Knowing I was near the end of a section, I wanted to finish that up yesterday while doing some mindless task at work. Suddenly I found myself laughing at the topic. Not because it was funny. But because it was saying the same thing as TNMWY. Seriously??? Am I listening to President Bush's memoirs and hearing the same facts that I just read the last few days in TNMWY. I most certainly was. And it was interesting to hear the same information from two different perspectives. Regardless of political interests, President Bush has a big heart. He thinks of others and not just himself. Does that make him without fault. No. Anyway, I wanted to get my notebook out and starting jotting down the stats. But I was WORKING and would never take away from my work. :) While GWB was president, he put lots of money towards Africa's HIV/aids pandemic. He also went on to talk about how malaria was killing "x" number of people (sorry, I'm not stats nerd like my hubby). And how he sought to focus on that too.


I really wanted to know how I could simply write to our past president and ask him if he's read TNMWY. I know he's an avid reader. I know he's interested in the aids problem. I wonder if he's read it. And since I was willing to contact him, why not share about FOVC, right? I bet he'd be interested in hearing about the success of FOVC and the work they are doing. Do you think I could google him and get his address in Crawford? I would so love to do that!


Anyway, isn't it amazing that I'm reading two totally different types of books and am hearing the same information. Wow. I'm so amazed by that today!

No comments:

Post a Comment