Monday, May 7, 2012

It's been two years since these two met.  And life changed forever for all of us.



We arrived home exhausted from Ethiopia with an overwhelmed little boy and two other children who were as excited as could be.  On our drive home, we purchased Judah nuggets and french fries which he wouldn't eat and still doesn't to this day.

Tonight, in an attempt to celebrate and remember how our life changed two years ago, I come to the keyboard with an exhausted and broken heart.  Tonight, I'm the overwhelmed one.  Tonight, the heaviness on my heart is exhausting yet keeping me awake.  It's that heaviness that I want to share with you.

I've been working on a presentation of Africa for some 7th graders at my local school.  I've dug through photos of my recent trips to Ethiopia.  It's fun to watch the videos and see how the kids grew from one trip to another. As I get a glimpse of life at FOVC, I'm reminded of the many who stand outside the fence who never receive help from FOVC and their generous supporters like you.  I'm reminded that sometimes when we do help, it might just be too late.  I'm reminded of the preciousness of life.  I'm reminded that I could sacrifice a little more and maybe change the life of just one more child.  I'm reminded that I can never do enough.

As I sit and type, next to my laptop is Bethany's change box.  Last night I rewarded her for something and as she started up the stairs to put her pennies in her bank, she came back to the kitchen and put it in her Ethiopia penny bank.  Oh Lord, would you continue to mold their little hearts after yours.  And God would you soften my heart and make me more like you, that I might live and give sacrificially.  May I be more concerned about keeping people alive than about building a financial portfolio for retirement.

The need is great.  The harvest is plentiful.  The workers are few.  Would you wake us up to the needs of those around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment