Saturday, March 31, 2012

Almost April

Just a quick update on my week as it pertains to the June trip to serve FOVC.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the views expressed here are MINE. Not the views of FOVC. So, it is MY faith that is tied into why I do what I do. Not that of FOVC. I'm a volunteer with FOVC, a non-profit, non-religious organization. For those who are wondering, I mention this because I've been asked numerous times if FOVC is a religious organization. Some of the individuals who volunteer for FOVC, like me, may be bible believing Christians. So, it's my views that may be reflected below.

It's been a tough week. Another week where I feel like not enough is happening in the planning process. Another week where I feel like the time I spend on my knees for the organization isn't enough. A week where I'm reminded of how it's not just the devil who attacks where good things are occuring, but it's also my own sin that negatively impacts. It has also been a week where I'm so, so thankful to partner in life with my husband. He leads me, he provides for me, he loves me, he watches my back, and he encourages me. Yes, he's so much more than that. Last night while we were both exhausted and I crawled in bed at 730 for a short break to try to get rid of my headache, he tended the kids. My short rest lengthened when I stayed in bed for the night, only with a quick wake-up call from the kids when they were headed to bed.

Anyway, back to our work with FOVC. I learned that the bee project won't be happening in June. The beekeeping pros decided that they couldn't make it happen that quickly. As I thought through the impacts of that, many ideas floated through my head. one of which was for me to not even go on this trip. After all, it's really, really expensive. Some of my main goals included setting up a water catchment basin and drip irrigation system. Because I also found out that there's still no running well water at Shanto, I wondered if I even had a purpose for the trip. I wondered why I didn't know there was no running water... a critical component to a drip irrigation system. Selfishly, I didn't want to "waste" my 2 weeks of vacation and lots of money to figure out that I couldn't do the tasks I'd planned to do. As I talked through it with Ryan, he brought me back down to Earth a bit. My one main goal of starting the beekeeping project wasn't going to happen and my other main goal of drip irrigation might not happen.

I did a lot of complaining to my husband before I changed my perspective. There's a lot that still needs to happen in planning this trip but my whine session is over, my attitude is in check, and I'm ready to move forward. After all, I need to start designing a drip irrigation system and have never done that before.

Oh, Lord, that you would give me wisdom in knowledge in the areas I'm lacking so that I can best serve you in Ethiopia.

If you would like to make a tax deductible donation towards our travel expenses, you can do so here: http://www.acharityproject.com/f/Buit

No comments:

Post a Comment