Thursday, October 7, 2010

it makes me mad

I just heard the question again and it makes me mad.  The person said "why do sensible people spend lots of money and travel thousands of miles to adopt a child?  There are plenty of children in the U.S. that need adopted."
 
My loving and simple response is and was: then if there are plenty of children here in the U.S., then why haven't you adopted one or two or three?
 
There's lots of variety in this question.  But, the simple point is the same, if they're so concerned with the orphans in the foster system, why aren't they adopting them???

2 comments:

  1. Was this said to you directly?
    Regardless, does it mean that children in other places of the world are less worthy of having a home?
    And oh my answer for why I didn't consider domestic for very long is incredibly judgmental, politically incorrect (or politically correct depending on what circles you run in.) And it is bound to make the inquisitor uncomfortable, because it certainly makes me uncomfortable and it is my truth. I think about this one a lot as I had one relative who kept insisting that I could get a needy American child in under a few weeks and had all kinds of examples to back it up.
    Uggg
    Your answer is, or course, better. But I would want to ask it as a series of questions...How many kids have you adopted? What was the process like? How much did it cost? What did the fees actually go for? Why EXACTLY did the kids need homes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that was an AWESOME answer; I'm memorizing it. My bottom line for such people is that if they're talking about the EASY adoption, the INEXPENSIVE adoption, the FAST adoption, or the ROUTINE adoption, then they don't know ANYTHING about adoption.

    ReplyDelete