Friday, August 6, 2010

Charity Water

I've seen the banner's multiple times. I saw it on the Johnson's blog and didn't take the time to read what it was about. I've seen the words "charity: water" many times and not given it much thought or attention. This week, I can't get it out of my mind. It's such a simple yet complex thing.

For approximately $5,000 a well can be dug that would offer clean water to a community. I can't put into words what this would be worth to a community. However, I do know that I saw the need with my own eyes when we were in Ethiopia. I saw the women and children walking with their yellow jugs (40 lbs when full) to the nearest source of water. I saw them dip the jug into dirty, gross water that you and I wouldn't swim in and carry it home. I saw the women and children bathing in the disease infested water just down stream from where the livestock were drinking. It broke my heart. The images are etched into my mind and bring sadness to my heart. These kids have such potential. They could be teachers, doctors, missionaries. Yet, they may not reach maturity because the unsafe water they drink has e-coli, salmonella, cholera and Hepatitis A.

Today during lunch I was checking out Charity: Water's website. Oh, that's where all those images have come from that I've seen on people's blogs and other places. I was blown away by the work they're doing. I haven't been able to get it out of my mind ALL afternoon.

Did you know that 100% of their donations go directly towards the projects. That's amazing.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I can get involved. I feel this tug on my heart to go back to Ethiopia and do ministry. After all Ryan and I are trained and educated in a variety of things that can be useful there (veterinary medicine, conservation, gardening, etc). After reading through this today, I'm thinking that this would be a good start. I went to the charity: water website and looked at where in Ethiopia wells have already been dug. Some in the South, but none near where my child is from. None near the Schinschico Hospital (a place that serves LOTS of people in the South). Wouldn't it be cool to see a well go in near the hospital to provide clean water for them and the nearby community members.

I won't be forgetting this anytime soon. Don't be surprised if I try to pull you in so that you too can play a part in providing clean water to a family that desperately needs it.

2 comments:

  1. I think about this often and try to donate as we can. It breaks my heart to think about the fact that some moms have to choose between either no water for their children or water infested with disease! It doesn't take much for us to help and it will make a huge impact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I would love to go with you. Besides many other things we were struck with on our journey to Durame, Jared and I could not get over how many people were walking around with those gasoline looking water cans and getting water. Yes, yes, yes to Charity: Water. Love them and love our local branch Water 4 Christmas.

    And if you didn't receive my request, add us to your Iowa family email list.

    ReplyDelete