Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cultural Chameleon

As I was reading this article, I found several things in it very interesting. Though I didn't agree with it 100%, I would value the information in the article. One thing that I chuckled at initially and had to re-read was the comment about a cultural chameleon. The writer said: "I kind of like being a cultural chameleon (Colombian by birth, Sicilian by adoption, and American by upbringing). It makes me unique." I guess my kids, all 3 of them, are cultural chameleons. Our little boy that we're adopting will be Ethiopian by birth, Dutch/Hispanic/etc by adoption and American by upbringing.

I've read articles, watched videos and read books that show kidsd who don't this chameleon effect. They feel lost - not being black and not being white. I really like what Jeneen says in this article and hope that my kids have a positive outlook like she does. If you haven't already seen the Newsweek article, click here to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment