Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lessons and News

I work for the federal government. My husband says I can have whole conversations with acronyms and not words. He might be right. So, it surprises me when I don't know what an acronym stands for. Such was the case recently. I've seen "DHS" written on several forms from USCIS (United States Customs and Immigration Service). Not knowing what DHS stood for, I assumed it was Department of Human Services. Much to my surprise, I learned today that I was wrong [3rd time in my life so I don't feel bad :) ]. DHS stands for Department of Homeland Security. Oh, now I get it. That makes since.

Along the lines of DHS, I heard from Ms. Amy at our local DHS office. I emailed her to ask if my i600a ap was okay after she emailed me a week ago to say she'd received it and would look it over. Amy replied today saying:

On 01/25/10, I requested that you and your spouse be scheduled for the first available fingerprint appointments. You should receive your notices within several business days.

This is why I, and so many others working on adoptions in Iowa, love Amy at Department of Homeland Security :)

5 comments:

  1. We haven't gotten our fingerprinting appointments yet. I hope they come soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...very polite and responsive! Looks like you'll be fingerprinted VERY SOON! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo! Woo! Our check was cashed today so that's as much progress as we've made so far...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy is great. Was just there to see her on Tuesday. Six hours in the car for about five minutes of fingerprinting. Just means we are one step closer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby is a government employee as well and I get so lost with the acronyms!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete