Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Action

Well the last few days have been eventful on the adoption front.

Last weekend we attended the first 4 modules of our training in central Iowa. It was a small group and we really had a good time getting to know the other two couples. The training was informational but not overwhelming and not boring. The time went quickly, granted us ladies had plenty of discussion going all the time.

During our weekend, we learned that there are more children being released for adoption than there are parents. This translates to a desperate need for parents who are willing and able to adopt. This also means that once we're paperwork ready, a referral can happen very, very quickly (compared to a 2-4 month wait). Considering I haven't been too quick at returning paperwork to the agency, this gave me a little more sense of urgency.

Granted, with that sense of urgency comes a reality of my life. I have two children at home that also need my attention and a full time job so it makes it a little more difficult for me to get paperwork turned around so quickly. Especially when the physical requires a Tb test that takes 48-72 hours to read. I have yet to have my physical though because I have to work that around my work schedule some what. Yes, I can take time off, but I need to be saving that time off so I can be home adjusting with our new child(ren) when that happens.

Speaking of new child(ren)... we are continuing to pursue a little boy who is between Scott and Bethany in age. The agency has a rule that they want the kids at least 9 months apart. I'm glad my kids were born 24 months which allows room in between for a child to fit within their rules.

Last night we had our phone interview with Holt's waiting child program. It was a time for Holt to get to know us a little more and present us to the selection committee on Thursday. We will be presented with 3 other families. Originally I was thinking we didn't have a chance at this little boy. I had been praying that God would make His will known and that we would be fine with using this as an opportunity to learn. From talking to Holt last night, the other families aren't necessarily any farther in the process than us. That means that we have a real chance of being matched with a child. A real chance. I can't believe that on Thursday evening, we could potentially have another child. (I say have because there is lots of paperwork that would have to be done before he could legally be part of our family).

The realness is setting in. I'm not expecting that we'll get chosen as I try to guard my heart, but I know that it could happen. If we don't get selected for this little boy, there will be plenty of opportunity in the coming months. Yee haw!

1 comment: