Wednesday, November 2, 2011

High Five


I haven't had much time to put together real thoughts about the trip.  I'm still thinking through how to share and how much to share and what all to share.  But as I'm sitting here editing Joe's pictures, I came across this one and loved it.  I love that people are smiling.  And my little kindergartners that I'm working with saw it and asked "how come they're so happy" just after seeing how tiny and dirty their house was in comparison to ours.  Then I got to this pic and they have big smiles.  I'd love to say that they're always smiling this much because of the hope they have within them.  Like we should be.  But the reality is in that moment, the reason for the smile is because I taught the kids a little High Five game that Uncle Mike does with my kids.  You tell them "up high" and get a high five, then say "down low" and get a low five and then cup your hand and say "in the hole" and when they stick their finger in your cupped hand, you reach out and tickle them.  The kids loved it.  Everyone laughed.  So, I love that they're smilling in this picture.  And I love that, if only for 30 seconds, I could bring some joy to their lives.
 
I've heard the question many times recently "Will FOVC let someone go who's not skilled?"  Friends, don't deceive yourselves.  The definition of skilled should not be limited.  Sure, not all of us are medical doctors or veterinarians.  But you know what, I'm not either.  I may be considered the crops expert but there those out there who know more than me.  I'm just willing, not super expert.  I know some basics and am willing to learn a lot while I volunteer.  You don't have to be an expert to help.  After all, kids need loved.  Can you play the high five game?  Then you too could be helpful on a team trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment