Saturday, October 22, 2011

In Addis Ababa, Ethiopia :)

Amazing how well our flight went... and how frustrating it was all at the same time.  Who knew that the last 32 hours would pass so quickly.  Much quicker than my 37 hour labor with Scott in case you're wondering.  Thought I'd share a few things I jotted down that Joe and I collectively got to experience on our trip here.
 
- I'm so glad I've been here, done this before.  It could be pretty overwhelming to fly to Africa with a friend who's never been and then meet up with your driver/guide who you've never met.  But it wasn't overwhelming at all.
 
- I thank God for the opporunity to go and love because he first loved us.  I get to love on 8 widows this week. Will you join me in praying for them?  You could pray for one each day and that would be awesome!
    day 1: Trunge
    day 2: Latashe
    day 3: Bontashe
    day 4: Aster
    day 5: Matafe
    day 6: Martane
    day 7: Shibre
    day 8: Galate
 
-  Listening to John Piper's message about Adirnirom Judson's life is a tough challenge but interesting timing as i'm going to serve.
 
-  I've seen so much waste in the airports and airplanes.  Particularly with food and water.  At Chili's I in Detroit I watched the water pitcher fill and then overflow while being left unattended.  Of course, I got up and fixed it.
 
-  While the seats certainly aren't luxury, I thank Godd for sustaining my back so far. (written from Amsterdam to Addis) and my most discomfort was my tailbone, not my back.
 
-  Pretty smooth process until security in Amsterdam took away my pliers and brand new crescent wrench.  I begged and pleaded and even asked if they stewardess would carry it on and hide it and give it to me later.  She could have even put it in the cockpit!  I even tried informming them that my whole trip was based around those tools  putting the seeder together.  I did all but cry.  No mercy.  Stupid Amsterdam security.  You're the same guys who confiscated my bottle of wine a few years ago!
 
- arrived in Addis.  Shoulda had Joe get in line for visas while I exchanged money.  I hate exchanging large sums of money by the way.  LONG line for visas followed by a long line for customs or whatever was next.  Almost 2 hours after landing, we were headed to luggage.  I didn't expect it to be on the conveyor but I did expect it to not be lost.  More drama ensued.  Lack of communication mostly.  Did you know that KLM doesn't have a bag delivery when they lose your luggage?  I think Ethiopian airlines does.  Plus with Et Air you don't have nasty security guys taking stuff away.  Yes, I'm bitter.  Anyway, we then started the process for lost luggage and we're told we'd have to come back to get it.  All donations.  I needed them!!!  Joe and I weren't satisfied with the lack of looking through the rooms of bags they had so I went hunting for them.  The sweet employee told me one spot to look, then another.  Then across the room, 100 yards away, he spotted what he thought was my luggage.  Could it be????  I ran over and sure enough, I picked  up all 4 suitcases of donations!!!!  Thank you Lord.
 
-  As I drug all four suitcases through the airport, bypassing the customs guy who wasn't very happy but I just kept smiling at him I made it to Joe who had our ticket stubs in hand.  We headed back to the guy I smiled at and let him make sure it was our bags we had and not someone elses.  And as we put the bags on the conveyor belt, I continue to pray asking God to let those bags go through with ease.  Prepared to fight and then pay for them to be allowed through, I about fell over when they didn't ask one.single.question!!!  Thank you God again!!!  I hadn't prayed for an easy flight but I had prayed and prayed for gifts and a seeder and all the medical stuff to make it through customs. 
 
- Another bit later our guide tells me that he's reserved one room with two twin beds.  While I trust Joe, I really did want my own room.  And out of respect for Joe's wife and my husband, I thought it was very important.  Thankfully, we got to the guest house and each have our own beautiful rrom.
 
- It's 1230am on Sunday here.  I'm in much need of a shower and some sleep.  I didn't catch Ryan on facebook but I did get to chat with my dad and that was a treat!
 
ciao for now.  We head to Shanto tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :)

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I couldn't be happier! I have worried about you and that seeder since our customs-shoes-fiasco last week! Stinks about the wrench and pliers, but yippee for the seeder and donations!

    Leah Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid Dutch! Take my wine and now they take your pliers. TSA assured us they would be fine but apparently that is just for domestic flights. Thank God you made it through customs. Have a safe journey to Shanto

    Your handsome husband,
    Ryan:)

    ReplyDelete