Friday, August 12, 2011

Give UP

This week we've been busy with bible school each night, an extra 5 year old in the house and the loss of our 6 friends (they didn't die or anything, just moved out).  All the while, I have in the back of my mind, this drought and famine going on in Ethiopia.  I find the little things that we do that are so wasteful.  And I imagine how I could give that stuff up, save the money, and send it to feed someone during this famine. 
 
I wonder why not everyone is doing something.  After all, we're not all called to be passionate about it, but we are all commanded to look after the widows and the orphans in their distress [bible: james 1:27]. 
 
So in thinking about what I could be doing, or how I could be doing things differently, I thought I'd just share a few ideas:
  • Cheap frappuccino.  So, maybe you're not able to give up your morning coffee drink, but there's a cheaper way you can do it.  On Sunday I served my cousin a famine friendly version of a expensive coffee: one pot of coffee with a can of sweetened condensed milk mixed in, chilled, and served over ice.  Cousin T liked it.  And she texted me on Wednesday to tell me that I saved her $12 so far this week.  How 'bout that.  Now imagine if each week she saved her $12 and put it towards FOVC's campaign to FEED HOPE during the famine.  In 8 weeks, she would have $96 to donate.  And if just 10 of us did that same thing, we'd have almost $1,000.  Crazy how quickly that can add up!  (disclaimer: now I'm not suggesting T do this, in fact, I know she's saving for increased child care costs but it's just an idea)
  • On Fridays, the staff at our neigboring office always eats out together.  I love that they prioritize one lunch break each week to sit down together.  Today I joined them.  My lunch was cheap but was still $5.15.  Imagine if instead of eating out, the 5 of them rotated making something at home and bringing it in to share.  At half the cost of the meal over an 8 week period, they would have $100 to donate and probably would have eaten healthier meals too. 
  • The CHANGE jar.  How many of you have a change jar or use the cigarette tray in your car for loose change?  I have one too.  Except I don't carry cash very often.  I find myself with cash and wasting it so I try to put the cash in the change jar.  Sometimes it's a twenty and sometimes it's quarters.  But every time it's not money I absolutely need right now or I'll starve.  Imagine if I cashed that out and donated it, how it could CHANGE someone's life who literally is starving.
  • Vacations.  Ryan and I don't do glamorous vacations.  In fact, our last family vacation was probably to CA in 2008 to visit my family and friends.  Anyway, some friends were looking at awesome Mexico vacations and I thought that my husband might enjoy something like that instead of me using all my vacation time on mission trips.  Then I happened to see a magazine article highlighting local places in the midwest that are on a lakefront.  That wouldn't be too bad.  A couple hours drive, a night on the lake and some good food.  But that magazine is collecting dust while I think of other alternatives.  What about a little bed and breakfast an hour away.  I'd still get the time away with my hubby without all the time driving, the expense of fuel, or the expense of a fancy resort.  And the money I save can go to feeding a family who desperately needs a hand up.
 
Is this drought and famine on your mind at all.  What are you doing to help out.  Those people are certainly orphans, widows and oppressed.  I help because I want to.  But I also help because I don't want to stand before the almighty God when he asks me what I did for His children and not have an answer.  What are you willing to give up?

1 comment:

  1. Uggg, how I am struggling with this issue right now and how this makes my heart hurt. I am in the middle of "Crazy Love" by Frances Chan. Unless you seriously want your world rocked, DO NOT read this book ever, but especially while there happens to be a famine in your son's birth country ...

    ReplyDelete