Sunday, March 20, 2011

Trip Update

Airfare is due by April 8th. Good news is that we've raised $1700 towards our travel. Not-so-good news is that we have lots of money to come up with. If you were considering supporting us, please know that we're up against a tight deadline. If you're partnering with us, would you put my mind at ease and my number crunching to work by letting us know the amount. Thanks!
* reminder: checks can be written to Rocky Mountain Christian Church and mailed to Lory Howlett, FOVC, 1428 Venice Lane, Longmont, CO 80503. You can write "Ethiopia trip" in the memo line and attach a sticky note that has my name on it so it goes towards my expenses. Thanks.

In-country expenses are due in early May. So, we have a little more time to come up with that money ($2,ooo).

According to IRS rules, if we have a bunch of generous donors and raise more than we need for the trip, that extra money will go to FOVC. On the last trip they has some extra money that went to FOVC. FOVC used it to purchase sewing machines for the widows hope projects.


Donations in my Luggage
Each of us will be allowed 100 pounds of checked luggage, a 15 pound carry-on and a personal item. Our goal is for each of us to take 50-60 pounds of donations in our luggage. Some of you have asked if you can help by sending stuff. Lory is communicating with Desalegn about FOVC's needs. I'm guessing that the blankets and clothes are still a ned since they came right off the FOVC blog.


I need help with some homework assignments. Preparing my heart and mind before travel can make me a better team-mate. So far, I've been studying climate, cropping, etc. After all, I'm considered the crops and soils expert (oh boy!). But there's so much more Ryan and I can (and are expected to) do before we travel. So, there's a few books that I need to read. Some have been on my list of wanted books for a while. Others are recent recommendations from Lory. If you have any of the following books that you'd be willing to share/donate to me, please let me know:
  1. Foreign to Familiar - A Guide to Understanding hot and cold climate cultures by sarah Lanier.
  2. There is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Green
  3. When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor by Brian Fikkert and steve Corbet.
  4. The Hospital by the River by Catherine Hamlin.

Okay, that's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment