Tuesday, March 15, 2011

More learning

Because Ethiopia has such changes in topography, details for growing crops can change dramatically. Here's a few more things I'm learning about the Welayita region:

  • The traditional zone name is Weyna Dega.
  • Two ranges for the altitude: 4921-7545'. That's quite a difference between the two elevations. Guess I'll have to dig more to get this fine-tuned.
  • Okay so temps average 61-70 from what I can tell. I wonder how the degree days compare to ours here in NE Iowa. From the selfish side of things, I'm bummed that it won't be warmer while I'm there :)
  • Some cereals they grow are Millet, Maize, Sorghum, Rice, Wheat, Barley, Teff, and Oats
  • Some legumes they grow are Cowpea, Sunflower, Haricot Bean, Chickpea, Lentil, Faba Bean, Faba Pea, and Nigerseed. Yeah, I don't even know what all of those are!
  • And a few other things they grow are Sweet Potato, Citrus, Chili, Coffee, Tea, Potato, and Enset. Mmm, looking forward to seeing these grow!

So, I wonder what they grow. What the elevation is in Soddo. Specifically how much rain they get. When do they typically plant and harvest crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment