Monday, April 26, 2010

Starting Out

Well, let’s just say that when you wake up in the morning and your back is still out of place and you call the chiropractor before 8am, it’s not the smoothest start to your morning. Thankfully Jennifer of Dean Family Chiropractic got me right in. Before that though, Ryan was in town first thing in the morning to get our “affidavit for vaccinations” form notarized since I’d forgotten that. Oops.

We were out the door according to our little schedule. Made a quick stop at the nearest (45 minutes down the road) at McD’s since I’d not eaten anything. Then again 15 minutes later at Wallyworld to grab wipes. And one more stop 30 minutes farther down the road to find choco sandals, which I did not accomplish, while the the rest of my family stopped for lunch.
Finally arrived at the airport in time to discuss our baggage with the Delta ticket agents. Thankfully I’d done my homework and knew that I was allowed 2 bags (<50 lbs) free per ticket while the Delta computer was trying to charge me. Apparently I was the most popular girl (for the first time in my life) and had 4 different agents looking at my flight details. Apparently they’re not well versed in this small airport on their own airline policies. Just in case you’re wondering, depending on where you’re travelling to internationally, they have different policies for baggage. East Africa currently allows 2 free bags. I think our 2-day layover in Amsterdam was confusing the system. Half an hour later, they had our bags tagged and we were walking to the security line.

Not much time to hug and love on our little ones who were eager to see the big airplanes. A quick hug and kiss was all we got before Bethany was asking to get down and go to her Grandma. It was short and bitterly sweet… I didn’t have a chance to tear up about missing my kids. The thing that helps me out is that I’m going to get my second son and bring him back to the kids who’d rather see the airplane than see me off  We’re now sitting in the Cedar Rapids airport ready for our first flight.

6 comments:

  1. Ok - *I* almost cried at your description of leaving your kids! That has to be the hardest part of traveling.
    Safe travels! Enjoy Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got goosebumps I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chills...so happy for you...and so excited to hear more about your experiences in ET!!!

    ReplyDelete